Hevo provides an option to automatically map event types and fields in a pipeline thereby eliminating the need for any human intervention whatsoever. Once you configure the source and destination of a pipeline, you can choose to automatically map the event-types. If you enable this, Hevo will replicate the source schemas as is. You need not worry about the schema changes in the source either.
When enabled, all the event-types will be automatically mapped. As and when a new schema is encountered, the respective schema will be created in the destination. However, for the schemas already present in the destination, Hevo will not overwrite any schema and mapping will have to be done manually.
Hevo can automate schema mapping in more than one ways giving you the flexibility to choose the behavior suitable for your use-case. The behavior can be defined at two levels:
- Pipeline level: You can choose one of the following behaviors for a Pipeline.
- Map New Event Types:
- Hevo will create the respective table in the destination with appropriate schema.
- Hevo will map these event-types encountered in the ingestion automatically.
- Skip New Event Types
- This instructs Hevo to not map the new event-types encountered. These event-types will be skipped.
- Hevo will continue mapping the schema changes in all the event-types which were already auto-mapped.
- No Auto Mapping
- This is the default option.
- Hevo will not map any new event-types in an event-type. All the mapping will have to be done manually.
- Map New Fields
- Hevo adds the respective columns in the destination table with the most appropriate schema.
- Hevo maps all the new fields encountered automatically.
- Skip New Fields
- Hevo will skip the new fields automatically as there are encountered for an event-type.
- No Auto Mapping
- This is the default setting.
- Hevo will not map any new fields in an event-type. All the mapping will have to be done manually.
You can find these options under the Schema Mapper tab in your pipeline. Simply click on the Settings (three vertical dots) on the individual schema to enable this option. If you want to enable this at the pipeline level, use the Event Settings (three vertical dots) to do so.